Saturday, October 4, 2008

Thoughtful Eating

I sometimes think about the environment when making food choices, but not constantly. I try to buy my produce and some bread and cheese at farmers markets where the food is grown locally and thus has less environmental impact. I try to eat organic when it's available and I can afford it. I am also a coffee drinker, and I try to make a point of only buying fair trade coffee. Although this is largely due to the human rights issues involved, to achieve fair trade certification, companies must adhere to certain environmental standards. Even so, I don't always think about the environment. I go out to eat and go grocery shopping without thinking about how the food came to be there.

Of the foods I ate over those two days, the most environmentally impactful dish was probably a olive/artichoke/cheese dish. (I don't know what it's called; it was part of the only TDR meal I've had this year). While I don't know all the ingredients of the dish, but both artichokes and olives are grown in the Mediterranean and therefore were likely shipped thousands of miles. The cheese also would have come from dairy farms in which cows require a lot of grain and release methane gasses.

No comments: