Sunday, October 26, 2008

The most significant experience I’ve had in nature would probably be on February at Possum Kingdom. PK is a giant lake a little over an hour out from my hometown in Texas. In the middle of the lake there is Devil’s Island with these giant rock formations called Hell’s Gates. You could stand on the tip top of one side of the “gates” and look all the way down to the water. And in Texas we have the best sunrises in the world, I’m sure, so from the top you can see forever.

I do think saving nature is a major concern. I remember driving down to east Texas and seeing the trees get bigger and bigger the closer we got to Louisiana. It’s my favorite thing about the south, thinking that those same trees could have been there since La Salle explored the Mississippi, or when the confederates were fighting the civil war. I used to imagine exploring those woods before anyone had ever been there. Mapping them out when they were virgin forests. I would never want my children to grow up in a place that didn’t have trees or lakes that were safe to explore.

No comments: