Monday, October 27, 2008

Discussion Question 6

My most thrilling engagement with the non-human world was this past January. I visited Santiago, Chile for a business class. While I was there, I went rafting on a river in the Andes Mountains. The glacial run-off was freezing but the air was beautifully clear and bright in the middle of summer. The day was unforgettable.

I think that saving nature is something important that we need to be concerned with but we also need to take into account the restoration and conservation of what is left. There are many thousands of species of plants and animals that have already been lost and the biodiversity of the planet is decreasing and we need to be concerned with saving and restoring the diversity. The planet cannot survive on monocultures of species because if something happened to them (disease, natural disaster, etc) then there would be nothing to start over with.

No comments: