Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Good Idea, But Can It Go Global?

I find the ideas put forth in Cradle to Cradle interesting, but I do not know how plausible they really are, at least on a global scale. I of course like the idea of eliminating the idea of waste. Humans are very wasteful and as the authors state, at least 90% of what goes in to making our stuff is disposed of. While the idea of creating plastics and other materials that can be reused into the same form is great, I think that it could not be implemented universally for decades. It would require a complete reworking of our industries. Also, I feel that it would require technology that is not available in much of the developing world. Though I do think their ideas should be promoted, I think that we need to continue looking at consumerism as a problem as well. Because McDonough and Braungart’s ideas can’t replace our current system overnight, other tactics would still be needed to reduce our environmental harm that is a direct result of our over-consumption.

No comments: